The Server service hung on starting.

For a couple of years now, one of my Windows XP workstations has taken about 10 minutes to start responding on the network. The 10 minutes would be spent trying to start the Server service. Then an error 7022 with a message “The Server service hung on starting.” would be entered in the System Event Log, the Server service would be restarted, and everything would be fine. Every now and then I’ve searched Microsoft Support to see if they had any suggestions but never found anything. I’ve also Googled it from time to time, and still no dice. I don’t know what made me decide to try once again, but I did today. While the search on MS still came up empty, Google once again came to the rescue. It was to a forum post which interestingly enough, contained a link to a MS KB article:

And here is a direct link to that article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319127

In brief, some Lexmark and HP printer drivers install port monitoring software which in some undescribed fashion cause the Spooler service to try to start before the Server service. The solution is to make the Spooler service depend on the Server service so Spooler does not start until after Server. For more details go to the MS link, but if you know what you are doing, you can add lanmanserver to the DependOnService key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler.

<rant>One of the most interesting things I find about this is that Google was able to to provide a link, but Microsoft Support search was not able to. The support.microsoft.com robots.txt file disallows search engines from crawling Knowlege Base articles. And the would be okay if their own search worked well, but in this case it totally failed even though the exact phrase clearly exists in the article.</rant>

Tags:

21 Responses to “The Server service hung on starting.”

  1. Steve Says:

    OMG, thanks so much. I spent hours trying to figure out what was causing this to hang. I looked at the event viewer, but nothing showed up. I finally timed how long it was taking, then I got the idea to look at the eventlog, found the message about Server hung, googled it, found your blog, and applied the reg fix. The reg key already had the value of RPC Remote Procedure Call, so I added LanmanServer on the line below it, and verified it appeared correctly in services.msc on the dependencies tab. now I’m going to restart and hope it works correctly. thanks again

  2. Steve Says:

    YES, that worked perfectly. Thanks again. I agree that it it pretty lame that search engines can’t crawl the KB articles and the KB search tool is so bad. That is why MS is so far being in the search category. They S U C K !

  3. john Says:

    Thanks Steve. That is exactly why I started this. I’m glad it helped somebody.

  4. dom Says:

    hope this works for me, driving me nuts

  5. steve -- different one Says:

    Thanks kindly — searched all over for an answer, kicked myself when i found this! Lexmark drivers = problems.
    much appreciated!

  6. Derrick Says:

    Life saver! Still works Nov 2011! Sure enough our Lexmark got hung up, and all hell broke loose with the server. Looks like the Lexmark/Print Spooler/Lanman(Server) service got hosed. Following your method worked flawlessly.

  7. Mike Says:

    This single blog post is still helpping people in 2012. thanks!

  8. Stan Says:

    Thanks for the post, actually I found the KB by googling it. funny thing though, it happened to me today and never before, had my current config for over a year now:O

  9. Karl Says:

    This helped with windows server 2008. Yep in April 2012!

  10. john Says:

    Hard to believe they haven’t fixed it yet. Thanks for the comment.

  11. Jonathan Says:

    Thank you so much for this! Helped me today!

  12. Alan Says:

    Yep, 2012 and this still is helping :) The MS link describes adding a new key. In my case the key was already there and lexmark had put LexBce as the first dependence. I edited the existing key and put LanmanServer at the BEGINNING of the key, ahead of LexBce, with a return after it. This seemed to solve the problem.

    Thank you Soooo much (even if this is years later :) )

  13. Alastair Says:

    The issue is present in Server 2008 R2 as well… I had the same situation as Stan and it just started happening randomly. I had fixed it temporarily by starting the service manually via a batch script but I believe this will fix the issue properly… I’ll keep you posted next time I do a server reboot.

  14. شات صوتي Says:

    Enjoyed reading this, very good stuff, appreciate it. “Nothing happens to any thing which that thing is not made by nature to bear.” by Marcus Aurelius Antoninus.

  15. wii u price Says:

    That is a outstanding post, what kind of progress do does the writer see occurring in the 5 years time for this field?

  16. netweaver Says:

    The fix worked!!

    I had a hunch it had something to do with the Lexmark printer but would never have guessed to add a dependency

    You are the man for tracking this down.

    If you ever have had a problem with Foxpro 2.6 crashing on XP, try changng the affinity for foxprox.exe to one. This took me many months to figure out but did the trick.

  17. ericmaxman Says:

    This helped me! Thanks a million!

  18. Sandy Says:

    Thanks so much! You’re a life saver!

  19. Adrian Says:

    Still an issue and it’s now 2014. NOT GOOD ENOUGH HP/LEXMARK/MICROSOFT. :-(

  20. MAB Says:

    You are still helping people in 2014! Over a month of researching, experimenting, installing new drivers, etc., nothing working (fixing the problem) and you finally solved it. I am sitting, here, rebooting, because it is so wonderful. Windows 7 Ultimate. Thank you!

  21. Kim Says:

    Can’t thank you enough!

Leave a Reply